Saturday, January 31, 2009

Missed Opportunity!

20 years ago, I volunteered at a local hospital. At times, when there were no flowers to deliver or charts to file, I would seize the opportunity to visit with some of the patients, particularly the elderly. One patient was being transferred to another floor to reside there until a vacancy opened up at a nursing home. We got to know each other more and more as days passed. Her husband and grandson was faithful to come every day and take her for a walk in her wheelchair. By this time, I was reassigned to the information station in the main lobby and would see her daily and soon looking forward to our daily exchange of smiles, hugs and our 'how are you doing today?' greetings. She never missed a day of coming by....well okay maybe one day, then two days...by the time the 3rd day came with no sign of my new friend, I decided to surprise her and go up to her room after my shift had ended. As I informed the nursing station of who I was looking for, a nurse in turn shared that we lost the patient 2 days ago. I of course smiled thinking that the nurse was new continued to look down the hall for my friend. In a minute, another nurse confirmed the story by saying, 'there wasnt a day that went by that her husband and grandson would come and take her walking.' My new found friend had died of a massive stroke. The hardest part for me as a Christian was I never did talk to her about Jesus with all the opportunities that God gave me. If you are a believer reading this post please take every single opportunity to share the Gospel to all around you. Tell someone how much God loves them and how much He sacrificed for them. You never know if you will get another opportunity....today may be your last chance to reach that person! And if you are reading this post and you dont know Christ, please comment and I will glady tell you of His compassion and sacrifice. God Bless you my friend and always always BELIEVE~Liz

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Liz,

This is a great testimony for missed opportunities, we as Christians often have opportunities like this each day in our life and not realize how simple it is to share the love of Christ thru words or example. Thank you, Liz for sharing this testimony reminding me of my commission.

Rina said...

Wow Lizzy, thank you for this faithful reminder. We do take so much for granted. I just recently lost a friend whom was not a believer (that I know of). A while ago she had asked me about attending our church. But because we were in the transition of switching churches, I did not seize the moment to share. We very seldom kept in touch except during Christmas time, when she would send us our annual card. Well, this past Christmas we hadn't received one. When January came around, God placed her so heavily on my heart, that I began pray and pray for her and her husband. I then made every effort find her phone number but that was a flop. Then I remembered her past Christmas cards...her address...hmmmm...yep, you know it...I drove right on over only to be greeted by a very grieved husband. Come to find out, my friend had just passed away January 12th. I took it very hard because I did not seize the moment when the opportunity was there, to share Jesus. Boy, did I take it hard.

I hope we as believers will always remember the most precious gift we could ever offer anyone is, to share Jesus.

Thanks again sis!

Luv ya...

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i once lost someone who i'd never introduced them to jesus...and it made an impression on me in a huge way. and like you...i decided to never let that happen again...god willing.